Benefit of Employment Screening
- Increase Productivity Employee background screening helps to decrease turnover Pre employment screening also promotes a drug free workplace by excluding candidates with serious drug offenses. Consequently, employee screening can lead to a more efficient and productive workforce
- Decrease Liability Developing solid pre employment screening policies and engaging in employment screening can show that the employer has exercised due diligence in the hiring process, helping to avoid negligent hiring lawsuits
- Reduce Workplace Violence Your employees want to feel safe on the job and they deserve protection employee background checks and other pre employment screening services can help weed out applicants with a violent past, decreasing the threat of a violent incident in the workplace
- Combat Fraud and Theft Pre employment screening prevents resume fraud by verifying the applicants’ previous education and employment. Additionally, pre employment background screening can identify prospective employees with a history of theft or embezzlement and eliminate them from the hiring process
Many employers are realizing the importance of pre-employment background investigations and are utilizing investigative companies to assist them with this responsibility. This vital information allows businesses to better evaluate their applicants, and avoid the possibility of a threatening or violent employee.
Pre-employment background investigations may include a criminal screening, DMV record research and a social security trace. Each search is thorough and conducted in a highly confidential manner, so you are assured that your information is accurate and current.
Why Conduct Pre-employment Screening?
The Society for Human Resource Management states 45% of all resumes contain one major fabrication.
- The American Management Association and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce said that 30% of all small business failure is caused by employee theft.
- The Small Business Administration said that employees at all levels falsify their backgrounds.
- According to the Bureau of National Affairs, from $15-25 billion is lost each year due to employee theft.
- The Wall Street Journal said that 34% of all application forms contain outright lies about experience, education and the ability to perform essential functions of the job.
- College and University registrars report that at least 60% of the verifications they receive contain falsified information.
- Today, employers are increasingly turning to pre-employment background screening to minimize legal and financial risk to their companies. No longer can a company take an applicant at face value. Background checks are no longer a luxury, backgrounds checks are a necessity.
Advantage to Pre-screening employees
- Reduces chance of injury to employees.
- Reduces employee theft.
- Reduces turnover.
- Reduces workplace violence.
- Reduces insurance premiums.
- Increases productivity and employee morale
- Discourages applicants with something to hide.
- Uncovers falsified or “puffed” credentials.
- Eliminates uncertainties in the hiring process
- Demonstrates due diligence.
- Encourages good applicants to be honest and truthful.
- Saves money and time spent in recruiting, hiring and training.
- Can help protect against negligent hiring lawsuits.
Is Pre-Employment Screening Cost-Effective?
With the cost of hiring a new employee averaging over three thousand dollars ($2,750.00), less than 2.9% can be attributed to the amount of a standard background screening check. A bad hire can mean an estimated loss to companies of approximately $33,000 in severance pay, training, wasted human resources time, possible search firm fees, loss of productivity, and impact on employee morale. The expense of a bad hire far outweighs the cost of an Employment Background Check. As with insurance, each employer must decide the level of protection they seek. Usually, the average cost of a background check is equivalent to the cost of a new employee’s first day of work.
The following searches are the most common types requested by our corporate and individual clients. EPIS, Inc. provides the following comprehensive employment and pre-employment background screening checks.